History about Greenlea

Greenlea is located in the old Spanish section of downtown Natchez, two blocks from the Mississippi River.Mississippi River




In 1794, the Spanish government granted the plot of land to Maurice Stackpoole, an American merchant, who by Spanish law had to build and inhabit a house on the land within a year. These conditions point to the fact that the rear wing of Greenlea was completed around 1795. It is in this rear wing that the bed and breakfast is located.

In 1853, the major part of the house was completed in pure Greek Revival style, by a cotton broker, Edward Templeman. The house retains its original parterre garden and has a lovely walled courtyard and garden in the rear of the house.

Site Design: Market Street Graphics marketstreetgraphics.com